ROOSEVELT, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities on Long Island say they’ve charged an alleged member of the MS-13 gang in the death of a 19-year-old teenager.
The Nassau County District Attorney’s Office says it has charged 19-year-old Jose Daniel Lopez with second-degree murder. Authorities say Lopez and other gang members attacked and killed Josue Amaya Leonor with a machete, burying him in a wooded area near Roosevelt.
Authorities say they recovered Leonor’s body in May of this year.
Lopez has pleaded not guilty. His attorney, Jeffrey Groder, says there’s no physical evidence that links his client to the slaying.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Oregon, scientists find a coronavirus variant with a worrying mutation
- A Mexican restaurant in Texas kept its mask rule. People threatened to call ICE on the staff.
- 'Three of us in this marriage': 26 years after Princess Diana's interview with Martin Bashir, the world awaits her son Prince Harry's interview with Oprah
- Biden Endorses Female Generals Whose Promotions Were Delayed Over Fears of Trump’s Reaction
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The news of Lopez’s arrest comes on the heels of the arrest of 20-year-old Kevin Lopez-Morales, who is a suspect in the death of 15-year-old Angel Soler.