FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a suspected burglar has died after getting stuck in a chimney in Central California.
Fresno County Sheriff’s Lt. Brandon Pursell said a homeowner in the rural town of Huron heard someone yell after lighting a fire in his fireplace Saturday afternoon and alerted authorities.
Pursell said the homeowner tried to put out the fire as his house began to fill with smoke. Firefighters who rushed to the house used jackhammers to break open the brick chimney, but when they got to the man he died.
Pursell said the man was responsive during the rescue.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At Pentagon, fears grow that Trump will pull military into election unrest
- Despite Trump attacks, both parties vow orderly election WATCH
- Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread
- Trump expected to announce conservative Barrett for court VIEW
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
Investigators will conduct an autopsy Sunday to determine the man’s identity and the cause of his death.