FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a suspected burglar has died after getting stuck in a chimney in Central California.
Fresno County Sheriff’s Lt. Brandon Pursell said a homeowner in the rural town of Huron heard someone yell after lighting a fire in his fireplace Saturday afternoon and alerted authorities.
Pursell said the homeowner tried to put out the fire as his house began to fill with smoke. Firefighters who rushed to the house used jackhammers to break open the brick chimney, but when they got to the man he died.
Pursell said the man was responsive during the rescue.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases
- 4 ex-cops indicted on US civil rights charges in Floyd death
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
Investigators will conduct an autopsy Sunday to determine the man’s identity and the cause of his death.