FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a suspected burglar has died after getting stuck in a chimney in Central California.
Fresno County Sheriff’s Lt. Brandon Pursell said a homeowner in the rural town of Huron heard someone yell after lighting a fire in his fireplace Saturday afternoon and alerted authorities.
Pursell said the homeowner tried to put out the fire as his house began to fill with smoke. Firefighters who rushed to the house used jackhammers to break open the brick chimney, but when they got to the man he died.
Pursell said the man was responsive during the rescue.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Man lived inside Chicago's O’Hare airport for 3 months before detection, prosecutors say
- Misinformation dropped dramatically the week after Twitter banned Trump
- Tribal elders are dying from the pandemic, causing a cultural crisis for American Indians VIEW
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Heavily fortified statehouses around US see small protests VIEW
Investigators will conduct an autopsy Sunday to determine the man’s identity and the cause of his death.