Share story

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A man wanted in connection with two fatal shootings in the St. Louis area was arrested after being found walking naked along a small-town street in Tennessee, police said Friday.

Casey Lowery, 36, of St. Louis, was charged with murder after being arrested Thursday night in Selmer, a town about 300 miles south of St. Louis. The arrest ended a manhunt that began after the three Missouri shootings were reported earlier in the day.

Investigators were responding to a shooting in St. Louis when they found a 29-year-old woman dead in an alley near where a 52-year-old man had been shot and critically wounded. About 15 minutes later, a 28-year-old man was fatally shot at a gas station about 4 miles away in St. Louis County.

Police have not said if the victims knew the shooter. Investigators connected the crime scenes because the same vehicle description — a mid-1990s blue pickup truck with a camper shell — was reported at both locations.

Then shortly before 8 p.m., officers in Tennessee were called about a naked man and found Lowery under a highway overpass.

A local police report said Lowery refused to cooperate, and that it took three officers to subdue him. The report said one officer used a stun gun on Lowery, who was combative and making “statements that didn’t make rational sense.” He was charged with resisting arrest and indecent exposure in Tennessee.

Lowery has been charged with first-degree murder in the St. Louis County death. Charges have not yet been filed in the city shootings.

Lowery does not yet have an attorney who could comment on his behalf. He also does not have a publicly listed phone number.

It’s unclear how and why Lowery ended up Tennessee. A local police dispatcher told The Associated Press that Selmer’s police chief was out of the office Friday and no one else was available to comment on the case.

Court records show Lowery has pending charges of domestic assault in St. Louis: one felony and one misdemeanor, for charges filed in 2016. He was released from jail in February on those charges, after posting $15,000 bond.

He also has a pending charge of drug distribution, drug paraphernalia and speeding in Scott County, Missouri, following an arrest in 2015. And he has three marijuana possession convictions in St. Louis, in 2001, 2004 and 2007.

He received probation for the most recent conviction, spent 30 days in jail for the 2001 crime and 60 days in jail for the 2004 crime.