TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — The suspect in the shooting of a father and son is now facing a murder charge after one of the victims died.
WIBW reports John Wesley Towner Jr. was charged Thursday with second-degree murder in the death of 34-year-old John Austin Jr. in January.
Towner originally was charged with two counts of attempted murder and other crimes.
Austin and his 57-year-old father, John Austin Sr., were shot on January 22 outside a central Topeka home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling VIEW
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
Towner is being held on $100,000 bond. His jury trial is scheduled to begin June 11.
Information from: WIBW-TV.