DOVER, Del. (AP) — A Delaware man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl before throwing her into a pond to die has lost a bid to have his bail reduced.
Daniel M. Santucci Jr. of Wilmington is currently being held on more than $1 million cash bail.
Following a hearing Thursday, a Superior Court judge refused to lower Santucci’s bail. He also denied a request by Santucci to be represented by a court-appointed private attorney, meaning he will continue to be represented by public defenders.
Authorities say the girl was playing outside with other children April 6 when a man lured her into a car. She was later found by a passing motorist.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
Santucci was arrested in Florida two weeks later. He is facing charges including attempted murder, kidnapping and rape.