DOVER, Del. (AP) — A Delaware man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl before throwing her into a pond to die has lost a bid to have his bail reduced.
Daniel M. Santucci Jr. of Wilmington is currently being held on more than $1 million cash bail.
Following a hearing Thursday, a Superior Court judge refused to lower Santucci’s bail. He also denied a request by Santucci to be represented by a court-appointed private attorney, meaning he will continue to be represented by public defenders.
Authorities say the girl was playing outside with other children April 6 when a man lured her into a car. She was later found by a passing motorist.
Most Read Stories
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Seattle federal prosecutor Thomas Wales was possibly killed by hired gunman, FBI official says
- Report: NBA and Kevin Durant are coming back to Seattle ... for a Warriors-Kings preseason game
- 'It's not going to warm up': Record-breaking cold in Olympia, Bellingham as chill lingers
- See how Mount Rainier glaciers have vanished over time, with this eye-opening photo project
Santucci was arrested in Florida two weeks later. He is facing charges including attempted murder, kidnapping and rape.