COMPTON, Calif. (AP) — Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials say detectives have identified a man suspected of fatally shooting a 3-year-old boy during an argument in Compton.
Investigators have not named the suspect but say they are in contact with his family and his attorney to facilitate the man’s surrender.
Deputy Charles Moore says the dispute between two men in a parking lot Saturday evening ended with one man opening fire as the other got into a car driven by his girlfriend.
Moore says a bullet struck the child, who was in the car. Responding deputies rushed to the boy to a hospital, where he died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
Officials didn’t say what prompted the argument between the men.
Dozens of mourners gathered at the shooting scene Sunday evening for a candlelight vigil.