ELKIN, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have arrested a man wanted in a chase that led to the death of a North Carolina Highway Patrol trooper in a wreck.
First Sgt. Michael Baker said in a news release that 22-year-old Dakota Kape Whitt of Elkin around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Whitt is charged with murder, fleeing to elude arrest and driving with a revoked license.
Twenty-four-year-old Trooper Samuel Newton Bullard was killed when he and a second trooper were chasing a suspect who fled a driver’s license checkpoint.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Speaker McCarthy ousted in historic House vote, as scramble begins for a Republican leader
- She got chemo in WA and Alaska — and the price difference was a whopper
- Here's where all the cases against Trump stand as he campaigns for a return to the White House
- 28 years ago, a book club began reading a novel. It's finally reached the end
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The other trooper was leading the chase when he noticed Bullard was no longer behind him. Bullard’s patrol car had hit a bridge support along Interstate 77 in Yadkin County.
Whitt is in the Wilkes County jail. It was not known if he has an attorney yet.