ROUND ROCK, Texas (AP) — A man police say opened fire on Central Texas officers investigating reports of a suspicious person in a neighborhood has died after being shot by police.
Round Rock police say 21-year-old Richard Rangel died Saturday night at a hospital. Rangel was shot before dawn Saturday during a struggle with officers trying to arrest him amid reports of a man dressed in black near some vehicles.
Police also determined Rangel had an active warrant for this arrest. Further details on the warrant weren’t immediately released.
Lt. Jimmy Keyes says no officers were shot but some were treated for minor injuries. Two officers who returned fire have been placed on leave amid the investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
Further details weren’t immediately released.