ROUND ROCK, Texas (AP) — A man police say opened fire on Central Texas officers investigating reports of a suspicious person in a neighborhood has died after being shot by police.
Round Rock police say 21-year-old Richard Rangel died Saturday night at a hospital. Rangel was shot before dawn Saturday during a struggle with officers trying to arrest him amid reports of a man dressed in black near some vehicles.
Police also determined Rangel had an active warrant for this arrest. Further details on the warrant weren’t immediately released.
Lt. Jimmy Keyes says no officers were shot but some were treated for minor injuries. Two officers who returned fire have been placed on leave amid the investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump administration to expand its power to deport undocumented immigrants
- Wray says FBI has recorded about 100 domestic terrorism arrests in fiscal 2019, many involving white supremacy
- Louisiana police officer on Facebook says Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ‘needs a round’
- You downloaded FaceApp. Here's what you've just done to your privacy.
- Your election guide to every 2020 presidential candidate, comparing policy positions
Further details weren’t immediately released.