RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s official death toll from Hurricane Florence is now 41, after a man whose home was damaged by two hurricanes in the past three years took his own life.
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner added the 69-year-old Robeson County man to the Florence death count last week. He died Oct. 22, more than a month after Florence made landfall on Sept. 14. He had also suffered losses from Hurricane Matthew in 2016.
The man is the second suicide on the official death count. An 82-year-old Carteret County man whose home was condemned due to Florence-related flooding also killed himself.
The state’s official tally says 10 of the dead drowned in their vehicles, the top cause of fatalities. Six other storm-related deaths were the result of motor vehicle crashes.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After coronavirus superspreader event at Sturgis, Missouri hosts thousands at Lake of the Ozarks bike rally
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Trump pledges woman for court, pushes Senate to move on pick VIEW
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87
- Ricin is said to have been sent to White House