NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A suicide car bomber on Monday targeted a European Union military convoy carrying Italian military trainers in the Somali capital, a Somali police officer said.
The car bomber detonated his explosives-laden vehicle next to a military convoy near Somalia’s defense ministry compound, injuring several soldiers, said Capt. Mohamed Hussein. One civilian was killed in the powerful blast, he said.
Somalia’s Islamic extremist rebels, al-Shabab, claimed responsibility for the blast through its radio arm, Andalus.
There was no immediate comment from the European Union on the attack on its military convoy. The Italian military trainers were reportedly trainings members of the Somali army.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Leave the US, Trump tells liberal congresswomen of color
- Trump moves to effectively end asylum at Southern border
- Watch Coast Guardsman leap onto moving submarine that was carrying more than 17,000 pounds of cocaine in Pacific
- 'Many people agree with me': Trump digs in on racist tweets VIEW
- Court's conservatives overturn precedent; liberals ask 'which cases the court will overrule next'