PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Some students who missed school due to a snowstorm in Maine are walking out of class to protest gun violence a day after most of the rest of country.
Schools all over the country were the site of walkouts Wednesday, but most Maine schools were closed because of a storm that dumped two feet of snow on some parts of the state. Students at schools including Portland High School, Biddeford High School and Baxter Academy for Technology and Science held walkouts Thursday.
One school district in the Bingham area had said students would be given the opportunity to discuss their views inside the school building, but not outside of it. A spokeswoman said neither had happened as of noon on Thursday.
A handful of Maine walkouts took place Wednesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH