CALEDONIA, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi student has been arrested for possessing a gun which should have been logged into evidence 10 years ago.
The Commercial Dispatch reports the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office’s announcement this week comes after the Caledonia High School student was arrested on Jan. 31.
It says the firearm was in possession of a former deputy and should have been logged into evidence, and investigators are now putting together a case against the former officer. Chief Deputy Marc Miley declined to identify the officer or gun and said the department is trying to figure out how it got into the minor’s possession.
The unidentified minor was arrested at school on charges of possession of a weapon by a minor after deputies found the gun and ammunition at his home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- Deer could be a reservoir of old coronavirus variants, study suggests
- Goodbye passport stamps, hello biometrics: Customs is getting faster
- Rep. George Santos is stepping down from committees amid fabrications about his biography
- Video shows mysterious whirlpool spiral flying over Hawaii night sky
Information from: The Commercial Dispatch, http://www.cdispatch.com