CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) — Officials say a student made hoax threats against his high school near Miami using fake email accounts he had created in other students names.
School officials tell news outlets the Coral Gables Senior High School student was arrested Tuesday.
Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho tells WTVJ-TV the threats were written with a Gmail account. He says the student won’t be expelled, and instead attend an alternative school and receive counselling.
School district spokeswoman Jackie Calzadilla tells The Miami Herald school police learned about the threats over the weekend. She says the student told authorities it was a prank, and had taken a screenshot of the threats and sent the photo on social media to other students.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At Pentagon, fears grow that Trump will pull military into election unrest
- Despite Trump attacks, both parties vow orderly election WATCH
- Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread
- Trump expected to announce conservative Barrett for court VIEW
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
He faces a felony charge of false reporting concerning planting a bomb.