The family of school gunman Adam Lanza issued a statement that said, "We too are asking why."
Details about the deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School emerged Saturday, as the state’s medical examiner called the situation one of the worst he had seen in his 30-year career; the family of the gunman released a statement that said, “We too are asking why”; and a grieving father tearfully spoke about his “incredible” daughter.
The gunman in the Friday rampage on Newtown, Conn., blasted his way into the school and sprayed the children with bullets, first from a distance and then at close range. Some were hit as many as 11 times as he fired a semi-automatic rifle loaded with ammunition designed for maximum damage, officials said Saturday as they provided new details of the massacre.
The state’s chief medical examiner, H. Wayne Carver II, said all of the 20 children and six adults gunned down had been struck more than once in the fusillade.
He said their wounds were “all over, all over.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- District of Columbia houses homeless people in upscale apartments. It hasn't gone as planned.
- Opioid users call kratom a godsend. The FDA says it’s a menace.
- Florida teenager obsessed with Columbine takes her own life VIEW
- Man angry about virginity pleads guilty to threatening women
- 4 killed in ‘targeted’ shootings in British Columbia
“This is a very devastating set of injuries,” he said at a briefing in Newtown. When asked if they had suffered after they were hit, he said “not for very long.”
The disclosures came as the police released the victims’ names. They ranged in age from 6 to 56.
The children — 12 girls and eight boys — were all first-graders, 6 or 7 years old. One girl had turned 7 on Tuesday. All of the adults were women.
White House officials said President Obama would visit Newtown on Sunday to meet with victims’ families and thank first responders. He is also to speak at an interfaith vigil in the evening.
On Saturday, as families began to claim the bodies of lost loved ones, some sought privacy. Others spoke out. Robbie Parker, whose 6-year-old daughter, Emilie Alice, was among the dead, choked back tears as he described her as “bright, creative and very loving.”
But, he added, “As we move on from what happened here, what happened to so many people, let us not let it turn into something that defines us.”
On a day of anguish and mourning, other details emerged about how but not why the attack had happened, turning a place where children were supposed to be safe — an elementary school with a sign out front that said “Visitors Welcome” — into a national symbol of heartbreak and horror.
The Newtown school superintendent said the principal and the school psychologist had been shot as they tried to tackle the gunman “in order to protect her students.”
That was just one act of bravery during the maelstrom. There were others, said the superintendent, Janet Robinson. She said one teacher had helped children escape through a window. Another shoved students into a room with a kiln and held them there until the danger had passed.
First-grade teacher Victoria Soto died after hiding her students from Lanza. Soto was a teacher in the classroom next to where the shooting began, a source said. She hid her students — 15 or 16 of them, some possibly in a bathroom — before the gunman entered the room.
Soto, 27, according to some accounts, then told the gunman the youngsters were in the gym. Her cousin, James Willsie, told ABC News that she had “put herself between the gunman and the kids.”
“She lost her life protecting those little ones,” he said.
The heroism was not enough: First responders described a scene of carnage in the two classrooms where the children were killed, with no movement and no one left to save, everything perfectly still.
The gunman, identified as Adam Lanza, 20, had grown up in Newtown and had an uncle who had been a police officer in New Hampshire.
Peter Lanza, Adam Lanza’s father, issued a statement Saturday on behalf of the family expressing “heartfelt sorrow” and adding : “We are in a state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can. We too are asking why.”
A spokesman for the Connecticut State Police, Lt. J. Paul Vance, said investigators continued to press for information about Adam Lanza, and had collected “some very good evidence.” He also said the one survivor of the killings, a woman who was shot and wounded at the school, would be “instrumental” in piecing together what had happened.
But it was unclear why Lanza had gone on the attack. A law-enforcement official said investigators had not found a suicide note or messages that spoke to the planning of such a deadly attack. And Robinson said they had found no connection between Lanza’s mother and the school, in contrast to accounts from law-enforcement officials Friday that said she had worked there.
Carver said it appeared all of the children had been killed by a “long rifle” that Lanza was carrying; a .223 Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle was one of the several weapons police found in the school. The other guns were semi-automatic pistols, including a 10-mm Glock and a 9-mm Sig Sauer.
As to how many bullets Lanza had fired, Carver said he did not have an exact count. “There were lots of them,” he said.
Carver said parents had identified their children from photographs to spare them from seeing the gruesome results of the rampage. He said four doctors and 10 technicians had done the autopsies and he had personally performed seven, all on first-graders.
“This is probably the worst I have seen or the worst that I know of any of my colleagues having seen,” said Carver, 60, Connecticut’s chief medical examiner since 1989.
He said that only Lanza and his first victim — his mother, Nancy Lanza — remained to be autopsied. He said he would do those postmortems Sunday.
Officials said the killing spree began early Friday at the house where the Lanzas lived. There, Adam Lanza shot his mother in the face, the authorities said. Then, after taking three guns that belonged to her, he climbed into her car and drove to the school.
Outfitted in combat gear, he shot his way in, defeating a security system requiring visitors to be buzzed in. This contradicted earlier reports that he had been recognized and allowed to enter the one-story school building. “He was not voluntarily let into the school at all,” Vance said. “He forced his way in.”
The lieutenant’s account was consistent with recordings of police dispatchers who answered call after call from adults at the school. “The front glass has been broken,” one dispatcher cautioned officers who were rushing there, repeating on the police radio what a 911 caller had said on the phone. “They are unsure why.”
Inside the school, teachers and school staff members scrambled to move children to safety as the massacre began. Maryann Jacob, a library clerk, said she initially herded students behind a bookcase against a wall “where they can’t be seen.” She said that spot had been chosen in practice drills for school lockdowns, but Friday, she had to move the pupils to a storage room “because we discovered one of our doors didn’t lock.”
Jacob said the storage room had crayons and paper that they tore up for the children to color while they waited. “They were asking what was going on,” she said. “We said: ‘We don’t know. Our job is just to be quiet.’ “
But she said that she did know, because she had called the school office and learned that the school was under siege.
It was eerily silent in the school when police officers rushed in with their rifles drawn. There were the dead or dying in one section of the one-story building, while elsewhere, those who had eluded the bullets were under orders from teachers to remain quiet in their hiding places.
The officers discovered still more carnage: After gunning down the children and the school employees, the authorities said, Lanza had killed himself.
The principal, Dawn Hochsprung, 47, and the psychologist, Mary Sherlach, 56, were among the dead, and even before the medical examiner and the police had released the identities of the victims, others were being mourned on the Internet.
The News-Times of Danbury, Conn., said that Lauren Rousseau, 30, had started as a full-time teacher in September after years of working as a substitute. “It was the best year of her life,” The News-Times quoted her mother, Teresa, a copy editor at the newspaper, as saying.
One student whose identity became known on the Web was Ana Marquez-Greene, the 6-year-old daughter of jazz saxophonist Jimmy Greene, who had moved to Newtown in July.
“As much as she’s needed here and missed by her mother, brother and me,” he wrote in a Facebook post, “Ana beat us all to paradise.” He added, “I love you, sweetie girl.” (The Ottawa Citizen quoted a relative as saying that Greene’s son, who also attended the school, was “fine.”)
Dorothy Werden, 49, lives across the street from Christopher and Lynn McDonnell, who lost their daughter Grace, 6, in the rampage. Werden remembered seeing Grace get on a bus Friday morning, as she did every morning at 8:45. Shortly afterward, she received a call that there had been a lockdown at the school, something that happens periodically, she said, because there is a prison nearby. It was only when she saw police cars from out of town speed past her that she knew something was seriously wrong.
Like the rest of the nation, she said, local residents were struggling with a single question: Why?
“Why did he have to go to the elementary school and kill all of those defenseless children?” Werden said.