RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Craft brewing company Stone Brewing Co. is suing MillerCoors LLC over the rebranding of Keystone Light beer.
The Roanoke Times reports that Stone Brewing, based in California with a brewery in Richmond, filed the lawsuit on Monday accusing MillerCoors Keystone beer’s rebranding of overtly copying and infringing on the Stone trademark. It says the new Keystone label emphasizes the word “Stone,” and that MillerCoors has launched a social media campaign intended to mislead customers by establishing Stone as a new name for Keystone.
Stone Brewing’s co-founder and executive chairman Greg Koch says in a released video that the company believes “MillerCoors is intentionally and deliberately trying to create confusion in the marketplace.”
MillerCoors has denied the claims in a statement and called the lawsuit a “clever publicity stunt.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Information from: The Roanoke Times, http://www.roanoke.com