LONDON (AP) — Have a question about artificial intelligence and think theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking is the man to ask?
Hawking is giving the Internet-going public a rare chance to pose direct questions to him on Reddit, the user-powered news and discussion forum.
The celebrity scientist is speaking on the perils and promises of artificial intelligence, a topic of lively interest as self-driving cars take to the streets.
The 73-year-old Hawking frequently makes public appearances, but he has amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or motor neuron disease, which makes giving spontaneous answers to questions difficult. Most Reddit question-and-answer sessions wrap up quickly, but this one is being extended over several weeks to give Hawking time to respond.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hikers found dead on California trail spent final moments trying to save baby, report says
- The woman who could bring down Roe v. Wade
- Stuck jet stream, La Niña causing weird weather
- Fauci says early reports encouraging about omicron variant
- COVID kills a leading anti-vaccine televangelist; evangelicals don't want to talk about it
There were already thousands of comments on Monday, a few hours after the forum was opened for discussion.