ST. LOUIS (AP) — The restaurant chain Steak ‘n Shake alleges in a lawsuit that a former suburban St. Louis employee falsely claimed on Facebook that she found worms in a hamburger patty.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the federal suit was filed Wednesday. It says Melissa White claimed she found “worms” in a patty she planned to cook for herself Jan. 5 at the Florissant restaurant.
The suit says managers as well as a health inspector checked and found no worms.
White left the store but told a table of patrons, then later posted a picture of the patty on Facebook, claiming she had been fired and no one checked the meat.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- Police think Alexa may have witnessed a double slaying — now they want Amazon to turn her over
The post was shared thousands of times.
The suit seeks unspecified damages and removal of the Facebook post.
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com