HOOKERTON, N.C. (AP) — State prison officials say an inmate has killed himself in a North Carolina prison.
Department of Public Safety spokesman Jerry Higgins said in a news release that 42-year-old Michael Grant was found unresponsive in his cell at the Maury Correctional Institution in Hookerton around 3:30 p.m. Monday.
Higgins said prison medical staff and paramedics tried to resuscitate Grant without success. He was pronounced dead shortly after 4 p.m. at the prison in Greene County.
The news release did not state how Grant died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 2nd man dies at California home of Democratic party donor
- Less beef, more beans. Experts say world needs a new diet
- Crushing defeat for May's deal leaves Brexit path unclear
- Government shutdown may upend State of the Union speech WATCH
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez vs. Wall Street: Lawmaker wins spot on powerful House committee
Grant had been convicted of first degree murder in Pender County in 2013 and was serving a life sentence.