HOOKERTON, N.C. (AP) — State prison officials say an inmate has killed himself in a North Carolina prison.
Department of Public Safety spokesman Jerry Higgins said in a news release that 42-year-old Michael Grant was found unresponsive in his cell at the Maury Correctional Institution in Hookerton around 3:30 p.m. Monday.
Higgins said prison medical staff and paramedics tried to resuscitate Grant without success. He was pronounced dead shortly after 4 p.m. at the prison in Greene County.
The news release did not state how Grant died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 29 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
Grant had been convicted of first degree murder in Pender County in 2013 and was serving a life sentence.