HOOKERTON, N.C. (AP) — State prison officials say an inmate has killed himself in a North Carolina prison.
Department of Public Safety spokesman Jerry Higgins said in a news release that 42-year-old Michael Grant was found unresponsive in his cell at the Maury Correctional Institution in Hookerton around 3:30 p.m. Monday.
Higgins said prison medical staff and paramedics tried to resuscitate Grant without success. He was pronounced dead shortly after 4 p.m. at the prison in Greene County.
The news release did not state how Grant died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
Grant had been convicted of first degree murder in Pender County in 2013 and was serving a life sentence.