CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. (AP) — Darth Vader is a tattooed 43-year-old former Marine who owns a gym and is raising funds online for a bone marrow transplant.
The Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester reports (http://on.rocne.ws/1QT6KdI ) that a western New York man legally changed his name last year to match the villain in the “Star Wars” films.
The former Eric Welch, of Canandaigua (kan-un-DAY’-gwuh), says he grew up in foster homes and didn’t have strong family ties to his name.
The “Star Wars” fan says he chose Darth Vader for his new name because the character carries an aura of leadership and toughness.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's what we know about the 'delta-plus' variant, already detected in U.S. and elsewhere
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Officer dead, suspect killed in violence outside Pentagon
- Passenger arrives taped to his seat after assault of 3 flight attendants
He tests his own toughness by competing in half-marathons and endurance events. He was diagnosed with leukemia in 2002.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Motor Vehicles confirms that Darth Vader is his legal name.
Information from: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, http://www.democratandchronicle.com