BALTIMORE (AP) — The 18-year-old Baltimore cat who received a $19,000 kidney transplant just over a year ago has died.
Stanley the cat’s owner, Betsy Boyd, tells The Baltimore Sun she made the decision to put him to sleep Friday. She said he became ill a few weeks ago and was then diagnosed with peritonitis, a severe inflammation of the abdomen.
The newspaper had profiled Stanley and Boyd in March , reporting she spent 41 percent of her salary on Stanley’s transplant. The newspaper reported this week that in total, Boyd has invested around $30,000 in Stanley.
She says she was criticized after Stanley’s transplant made headlines nationwide, but says her priority was making sure Stanley had the most comfortable life.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A North Carolina teen didn't come home. An iPhone app led her mother to a ravine.
- Severed head of prehistoric wolf found in Siberia, perfectly preserved
- High court avoids new case over same-sex wedding cake
- Egypt's ousted president Morsi dies in court during trial VIEW
- High court lets Virginia voting go ahead under redrawn map
She has five other cats, including Stanley’s kidney donor, whom she adopted.
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com