CLAYTON, Mo. (AP) — A St. Louis County councilman faces two separate efforts that could remove him from office.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Ernie Trakas blames County Executive Steve Stenger for both efforts. Stenger denies involvement. Trakas is a Republican who has battled with the Democratic county executive over several issues.
A recall effort requires in Trakas’ district accuses him of incompetence, obstructionism, wasting taxpayer money and blocking business and job growth. The criticism mostly stems from his initial refusal to approve a zoning change for a construction business. He later relented.
Meanwhile, a special prosecutor is investigating whether the councilman violates the county charter by working as an attorney for public school districts. The charter forbids council members from holding other governmental employment. It’s unclear if contract work is allowed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Woman, 29, enrolled in high school and pretended to be a teenager
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Priscilla Presley files petition questioning validity of Lisa Marie Presley’s will
- Ski resorts can now make fake snow in 80 degrees. Here's why that's a problem
- Australians scour desert for dangerous radioactive capsule smaller than a penny
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com