ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) — A 36-year-old St. Joseph woman was sentenced to five years in prison but she will spend about 120 days in jail for the death of her 4-month-old daughter.
A judge sentenced Michelle Trinidad Deming Monday but said because of the time she has been in jail, he didn’t expect state prison officials to keep her incarcerated for more than another 120 days.
The St. Joseph News-Press reports Deming pleaded guilty in March to endangering the welfare of a child.
She admitted that she put her daughter to bed and took a walk. Prosecutors say she tested positive for methamphetamine at the time of her daughter’s death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Should you cancel your summer vacation plans because of coronavirus?
- A ‘liberty’ rebellion in Idaho threatens to undermine coronavirus orders
- Hawaii mayor to arrested man: 'Covidiot'
- Sanders ends presidential campaign
- Record 16.8 million have sought US jobless aid since virus
Her 12-year-old son found the girl dead and called police.
Information from: St. Joseph News-Press/St. Joe, Missouri, http://www.newspressnow.com