ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) — A 36-year-old St. Joseph woman was sentenced to five years in prison but she will spend about 120 days in jail for the death of her 4-month-old daughter.
A judge sentenced Michelle Trinidad Deming Monday but said because of the time she has been in jail, he didn’t expect state prison officials to keep her incarcerated for more than another 120 days.
The St. Joseph News-Press reports Deming pleaded guilty in March to endangering the welfare of a child.
She admitted that she put her daughter to bed and took a walk. Prosecutors say she tested positive for methamphetamine at the time of her daughter’s death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
- Disputing Trump, Barr says no widespread election fraud
- Obese Americans could be prioritized for coronavirus vaccine
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- For Trump, 20 days of fantasy and failure
Her 12-year-old son found the girl dead and called police.
Information from: St. Joseph News-Press/St. Joe, Missouri, http://www.newspressnow.com