PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (AP) — Officials say a pit bull mix deemed “sociable” on behavioral tests was euthanized after viciously attacking his new owner’s teenage daughter on the day he was brought home.
Newsday says (http://nwsdy.li/1KXRcU4 ) 40-year-old Stephen Neira bought Alex on Thursday after seeing him on a website for rescuing “death row” pets.
Alex was scheduled to be put down in 22 minutes when Neira bought him at the Animal Care Centers of New York City.
He took the 42-pound dog to his Patchogue home Sunday where officials say Alex attacked his 16-year-old daughter, sinking his teeth into her face and throat.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
- 'QAnon Shaman's' note to Pence cited as evidence of 'assassination' plot before prosecutors walk back claim
- The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail
- Trump to leave Washington on morning of Biden's inauguration
- Trump plans to live at Mar-a-Lago and employ some current aides
The girl remained hospitalized Monday after undergoing plastic surgery at Stony Brook University Hospital.
Suffolk police tranquilized Alex and took him to the Brookhaven animal shelter, where the 2-year-old canine was euthanized.
Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com