PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (AP) — Officials say a pit bull mix deemed “sociable” on behavioral tests was euthanized after viciously attacking his new owner’s teenage daughter on the day he was brought home.
Newsday says (http://nwsdy.li/1KXRcU4 ) 40-year-old Stephen Neira bought Alex on Thursday after seeing him on a website for rescuing “death row” pets.
Alex was scheduled to be put down in 22 minutes when Neira bought him at the Animal Care Centers of New York City.
He took the 42-pound dog to his Patchogue home Sunday where officials say Alex attacked his 16-year-old daughter, sinking his teeth into her face and throat.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Why is COVID-19 killing so many young children in Brazil? Doctors are baffled
- Some aren't ready to give up masks despite new CDC guidance
The girl remained hospitalized Monday after undergoing plastic surgery at Stony Brook University Hospital.
Suffolk police tranquilized Alex and took him to the Brookhaven animal shelter, where the 2-year-old canine was euthanized.
Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com