ESCALANTE, Utah (AP) — Southern Utah officials say a bomb squad has destroyed two mortars found in a remote area near the town of Escalante.
Garfield County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Denise Dastrup said a resident found the mortars near a camping area and emailed the sheriff’s office Friday to let them know.
Dastrup says the sheriff’s office and a bomb disposal team on Saturday blew up the mortars to destroy them but were not able to first determine if they were live.
She did not have details about how old the explosives were or why they were left in the remote area.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog