EAGLE PASS, Texas (AP) — Police in South Texas say a 7-month-old girl has died after being left in a parked car amid triple-digit temperatures when her father apparently forgot to take her to day care before going to work.
Eagle Pass police said Thursday that the car was parked at a local school where the father worked as a teacher. Officer Humberto (uhm-BEHR’-toh) Garza says investigators believe the baby’s death was accidental.
Police say emergency personnel were summoned to the school parking lot around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday. The child was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Forecasters say temperatures reached 100 degrees on Wednesday in Eagle Pass, which is about 130 miles (209 kilometers) southwest of San Antonio.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- Mega Millions jackpot hits $1.6B, thanks to worsening odds
- Trump administration eyes defining transgender out of existence
The Eagle Pass Independent School District didn’t immediately return a message from The Associated Press on Thursday.