RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota state Rep. Sean McPherson has died after fighting cancer for more than a year.
Dwight Edstrom, funeral director at Osheim and Schmidt Funeral Home, said the Rapid City legislator died Thursday. McPherson was 47.
The Rapid City Journal reports McPherson’s struggle with cancer started in February 2017.
Gov. Dennis Daugaard says McPherson was a good legislator, but “more importantly he was a good man.” Attorney General Marty Jackley tweeted that McPherson’s legacy “will not fade.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- GOP Sen. Roger Marshall plans bill to publicize Fauci's salary
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Census memo cites ‘unprecedented’ meddling by Trump administration
- Hostages safe after Texas synagogue standoff; captor dead
McPherson was a Republican elected in 2016 to serve District 32, which includes Pennington County. He was a former Navy submariner, teacher and the pastor of a Nazarene church.
Daugaard says McPherson and his wife joined the governor and first lady Linda Daugaard last fall to christen the USS South Dakota submarine in Connecticut.
Information from: Rapid City Journal, http://www.rapidcityjournal.com