SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina man has been sentenced to 40 years in prison in a fatal shooting in 2016.
Spartanburg County Solicitor Barry Barnette said in a news release that 26-year-old Jefferson Lee Perry III of Cowpens was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty to murder and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.
Authorities charged Perry in the December 2016 death of 31-year-old Tiffany Dale Cartee. Investigators say Cartee was driving a 2003 Ford Expedition when Perry shot her in the head from the front seat while two others were in the car. After the shooting, the vehicle hit a tree.
Perry fled, but was found hiding in the crawl space of a nearby home. He is not eligible for parole or early release.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Federal judge in Texas rules Obama health-care law unconstitutional
- Interior Secretary Zinke resigns amid investigations
- The iconic U.S. company raising the stature of corrupt governments around the world
- Mounting legal threats surround Trump as nearly every organization he has led is under investigation
- George Conway calls Trump a liar after Kellyanne Conway defends president on TV