SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina man has been sentenced to 40 years in prison in a fatal shooting in 2016.
Spartanburg County Solicitor Barry Barnette said in a news release that 26-year-old Jefferson Lee Perry III of Cowpens was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty to murder and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.
Authorities charged Perry in the December 2016 death of 31-year-old Tiffany Dale Cartee. Investigators say Cartee was driving a 2003 Ford Expedition when Perry shot her in the head from the front seat while two others were in the car. After the shooting, the vehicle hit a tree.
Perry fled, but was found hiding in the crawl space of a nearby home. He is not eligible for parole or early release.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sherpa climbs Everest twice in a week, breaks his record with his 24th ascent
- 'American Taliban' fighter to be released after 17 years VIEW
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Mnuchin says Tubman $20 bill design delayed past 2020
- Trump stalks out on Democrats, demands end of investigations VIEW