JOHANNESBURG (AP) — A white woman in South Africa has been sentenced to prison for a racist rant against a black police officer who was trying to help her after a robbery.
Vicki Momberg on Wednesday was given a three-year sentence, though one year was suspended on condition that she does not repeat the crime.
The former real estate agent was convicted of violating the dignity of the police officer with racially offensive comments.
Magistrate Pravina Raghoonandan says Momberg did not show any remorse for the 2016 incident in Johannesburg.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts
South Africa became an all-race democracy after the end of white minority rule in 1994.