MONTICELLO, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been convicted of trying to kill his mother by ramming his SUV into her upstate New York home.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports (http://bit.ly/1Ns22j1 ) a Sullivan County jury on Thursday found 51-year-old Vincent Ryan Jr. guilty of attempted murder, assault and related offenses.
Prosecutors say Ryan had repeated disputes with his parents and they had a protection order against their son.
Ryan told investigators he wanted his parents investigated, so he planned to commit a hate crime to get attention from federal authorities. Instead, he then turned his attention to his mother.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The 20-somethings who help the 70-somethings run Washington
- An excavation in the sea depths recovers Hercules from the afterlife
Prosecutors say Ryan intended to kill his mother when he drove into Helen Ryan’s Bloomingburg home last year, injuring her.
Ryan will be sentenced on July 21.
Information from: The Times Herald-Record, http://www.th-record.com