There are several Maine athletes participating in the Winter Olympics, but only one carried a nation’s flag into the opening ceremonies.
Dinos Lefkaritis, who carried the flag for Cyprus on Friday, is a junior at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.
The Sun Journal reports that he’s an engineering and economics major and the 12th Bates College Olympian.
He’s the only member of the Cyprus team, and will compete in the alpine skiing events in South Korea.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Parents forget newborn baby in Hamburg taxi
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban
- Anna the anaconda got pregnant all by herself — by 'virgin birth'
Cyprus is an island nation in the Mediterranean Sea but there is skiing there in the Troodoos Mountains. Lefkaritis has been skiing since age. 5.