There are several Maine athletes participating in the Winter Olympics, but only one carried a nation’s flag into the opening ceremonies.
Dinos Lefkaritis, who carried the flag for Cyprus on Friday, is a junior at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.
The Sun Journal reports that he’s an engineering and economics major and the 12th Bates College Olympian.
He’s the only member of the Cyprus team, and will compete in the alpine skiing events in South Korea.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Justices won't hear states' appeal over Planned Parenthood
- Dog that waited weeks in ruins of California wildfire is reunited with owner WATCH
- Trump blames lawyer Michael Cohen for hush money 'liability'
- Need a transplant? First you'll need to prove you can afford it
- Yukon trapper shoots attacking grizzly — then finds his family already mauled to death
Cyprus is an island nation in the Mediterranean Sea but there is skiing there in the Troodoos Mountains. Lefkaritis has been skiing since age. 5.