There are several Maine athletes participating in the Winter Olympics, but only one carried a nation’s flag into the opening ceremonies.
Dinos Lefkaritis, who carried the flag for Cyprus on Friday, is a junior at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.
The Sun Journal reports that he’s an engineering and economics major and the 12th Bates College Olympian.
He’s the only member of the Cyprus team, and will compete in the alpine skiing events in South Korea.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Several powerful earthquakes strike off the shore of Canada
- Trump administration eyes defining transgender out of existence
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- 4 Americans among 5 dead in Costa Rica rafting accident
- Mega Millions jackpot hits $1.6B, thanks to worsening odds
Cyprus is an island nation in the Mediterranean Sea but there is skiing there in the Troodoos Mountains. Lefkaritis has been skiing since age. 5.