There are several Maine athletes participating in the Winter Olympics, but only one carried a nation’s flag into the opening ceremonies.
Dinos Lefkaritis, who carried the flag for Cyprus on Friday, is a junior at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.
The Sun Journal reports that he’s an engineering and economics major and the 12th Bates College Olympian.
He’s the only member of the Cyprus team, and will compete in the alpine skiing events in South Korea.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
Cyprus is an island nation in the Mediterranean Sea but there is skiing there in the Troodoos Mountains. Lefkaritis has been skiing since age. 5.