ABINGTON, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say improper disposal of smoking materials caused a deadly Christmas Eve fire at an elderly housing complex in Massachusetts.
The Fire Marshal says the fire that killed 71-year old Stanley Simon in Abington started in an upholstered reclining chair in his den, and that he had been smoking cigars.
Simon was found dead in his third-floor apartment at the Chestnut Glen complex. Fire officials say the building has sprinklers in hallways but not apartments.
Four others in the building were treated for exposure to smoke, and 47 were temporarily removed from an adjacent building.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
- Thousands of Seattle protesters gather downtown after Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade
- WA, other West Coast states form pact committing to protect abortion access
- The man most responsible for ending Roe worries that it could hurt his party
- Supreme Court: The leaked abortion draft versus the opinion
Fire officials say cigars aren’t required to meet state fire prevention standards that apply to cigarettes.