SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Sioux Falls police say a man accused of abusing his 3-month-old son is facing more charges now that the boy has died.
Police say 26-year-old Alejandro Salgado De Jesus was first arrested on Dec. 11, two days after his son was taken to the hospital while unresponsive. De Jesus was charged with aggravated battery to an infant and abuse or cruelty to an infant.
The infant was recently taken off life support, although police aren’t clear about the exact date.
Police spokesman Sam Clemens says an autopsy has been scheduled, after which more charges are likely.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- University defends Justice Thomas' teaching position amid calls for removal
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
Clemens says the infant’s mother was out with friends at the time of the incident.