Share story

FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (AP) — Authorities in Sierra Leone are now monitoring more than 500 people after one man died from Ebola in area where the virus had been gone for months.

Hassan Abdul Sesay, a member of parliament from the area, said Thursday that the victim had contracted Ebola in the capital of Freetown.

At the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, he traveled to his home village in Northern Tonkolili District.

Now the 30 nurses who treated him for fever at a local hospital and his entire home village are being quarantined.

Authorities said the Ebola emergency was not called, and his family and friends buried him without following the special procedures required for Ebola victims to avoid spreading the disease even after death.