LAUDERDALE LAKES, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy in Florida fatally shot a suspect who attacked the officer.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that the deputy arrived at a condominium complex in Lauderdale Lakes on Wednesday afternoon and was confronted by 42-year-old Jean Pedro Pierre.
The office says Pierre attacked 48-year-old Deputy Sean Youngward. Witnesses told investigators that Pierre punched and kicked Youngward.
Investigators say Youngward had to call in backup when non-lethal methods failed to subdue Pierre.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- UPDATE: Throw out romaine lettuce from SW Arizona, CDC warns as E. coli spreads
- Democratic party files lawsuit against Russia, Trump campaign, alleging conspiracy to influence the election
- Miss America 2005 marries same-sex partner in Alabama
- Court: Sotomayor shoulder injury worse than first thought
- Student says Confederate flag theft sparked protests
Deputy Steven Briggs arrived and the sheriff’s office said he found Youngward on his back, still under assault.
The sheriff’s office says Briggs ordered Pierre to stop before firing several shots.
Pierre, who was unarmed, died at a hospital.
Both deputies are on leave as the shooting is investigated. Authorities haven’t released the races of those involved.