LAUDERDALE LAKES, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy in Florida fatally shot a suspect who attacked the officer.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that the deputy arrived at a condominium complex in Lauderdale Lakes on Wednesday afternoon and was confronted by 42-year-old Jean Pedro Pierre.
The office says Pierre attacked 48-year-old Deputy Sean Youngward. Witnesses told investigators that Pierre punched and kicked Youngward.
Investigators say Youngward had to call in backup when non-lethal methods failed to subdue Pierre.
Most Read Stories
- Amazon Go cashierless convenience store opens to the public in Seattle VIEW
- Are you ready? Here comes a deluge of rain, snow across Western Washington
- Analysis | Why did the Seahawks move on from Kris Richard as defensive coordinator? A look at the numbers
- Amazon Go draws crowds: How does it work? Answers to questions on the new retail store
- Alaska hit by 7.9 earthquake; tsunami warning canceled VIEW
Deputy Steven Briggs arrived and the sheriff’s office said he found Youngward on his back, still under assault.
The sheriff’s office says Briggs ordered Pierre to stop before firing several shots.
Pierre, who was unarmed, died at a hospital.
Both deputies are on leave as the shooting is investigated. Authorities haven’t released the races of those involved.