LAUDERDALE LAKES, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy in Florida fatally shot a suspect who attacked the officer.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that the deputy arrived at a condominium complex in Lauderdale Lakes on Wednesday afternoon and was confronted by 42-year-old Jean Pedro Pierre.
The office says Pierre attacked 48-year-old Deputy Sean Youngward. Witnesses told investigators that Pierre punched and kicked Youngward.
Investigators say Youngward had to call in backup when non-lethal methods failed to subdue Pierre.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Oregon wheat farmers try to stop fire that's consuming crops VIEW
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- ‘You’re a daredevil girl!’ U.S. details Russian woman’s quest to sway NRA, GOP to do Moscow’s bidding
Deputy Steven Briggs arrived and the sheriff’s office said he found Youngward on his back, still under assault.
The sheriff’s office says Briggs ordered Pierre to stop before firing several shots.
Pierre, who was unarmed, died at a hospital.
Both deputies are on leave as the shooting is investigated. Authorities haven’t released the races of those involved.