LUGOFF, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina sheriff says a man clocked doing 141 mph (227 kph) on Interstate 20 told a deputy he was on his way to see his girlfriend.
Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews said a deputy assigned to his special traffic unit saw 20-year-old Liam Buckley fly past him late Friday on I-20 just east of the Richland County line.
Matthews says the deputy used radar to determine Buckley was going 141 mph. The sheriff says when officers caught up with Buckley’s 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, he told them he was going to visit his girlfriend in Myrtle Beach.
Matthews said in a news release that Buckley was cited and spent a night in jail. It wasn’t known if he had a lawyer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No.'
- Pence tells GOP to stop lashing out at FBI over Trump search
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- The coming California megastorm