SMITHS STATION, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a 55-year-old woman shot her 23-year-old son to death in Alabama during a domestic dispute.
Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones says deputies responded to reports of gunshots Tuesday in Smiths Station and found Robert Lee Woods Jr. with two gunshot wounds.
Jones says deputies identified the shooter as Woods’ mother. She was at the home when deputies arrived. Investigators are interviewing her and other people and have not filed any charges.
Jones says investigators are looking into previous disturbances at the home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
- CNN drops suit against White House after Jim Acosta's press pass is fully restored
Woods’ body will be transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences medical examiner’s office in Montgomery for a post-mortem exam.
Smiths Station is around 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Columbus, Georgia.