SMITHS STATION, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a 55-year-old woman shot her 23-year-old son to death in Alabama during a domestic dispute.
Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones says deputies responded to reports of gunshots Tuesday in Smiths Station and found Robert Lee Woods Jr. with two gunshot wounds.
Jones says deputies identified the shooter as Woods’ mother. She was at the home when deputies arrived. Investigators are interviewing her and other people and have not filed any charges.
Jones says investigators are looking into previous disturbances at the home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
Woods’ body will be transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences medical examiner’s office in Montgomery for a post-mortem exam.
Smiths Station is around 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Columbus, Georgia.