SMITHS STATION, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a 55-year-old woman shot her 23-year-old son to death in Alabama during a domestic dispute.
Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones says deputies responded to reports of gunshots Tuesday in Smiths Station and found Robert Lee Woods Jr. with two gunshot wounds.
Jones says deputies identified the shooter as Woods’ mother. She was at the home when deputies arrived. Investigators are interviewing her and other people and have not filed any charges.
Jones says investigators are looking into previous disturbances at the home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
Woods’ body will be transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences medical examiner’s office in Montgomery for a post-mortem exam.
Smiths Station is around 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Columbus, Georgia.