COALMONT, Tenn. (AP) — Five Tennessee high school football players have been accused of trying to rape a 15-year-old boy with the metal handle of a mop inside the school’s field house.
News outlets report that the five unidentified students, ages 15 to 17, have been charged with attempted aggravated rape in connection with the incident early Wednesday morning at Grundy County High School.
Grundy County Sheriff Clint Shrum said at a news conference Thursday that one of the boys filmed the attack as the others held down the freshman, pulled down his pants and tried to assault him with the mop handle as he struggled.
The allegations are similar to those levied against three eastern Tennessee high school basketball players who were convicted of assaulting a teammate with a pool cue in 2015.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- More outbreaks of foodborne illnesses: Here’s what you need to know
- Trump administration pulls US out of UN human rights council
- 'Are you dead, sir?': Video shows ER doctor mocking patient who said he couldn't breathe WATCH
- In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule WATCH
- In secret recording, children in custody sob, beg for parents taken from them at U.S. border