DALLAS, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say the bullet from a handgun that fell to the floor in a Georgia home wounded the woman in the leg and then struck her child in the head. The 8-year-old girl later died.
Paulding County sheriff’s officials on Monday provided that account of Saturday’s shooting in the county northwest of Atlanta. They also identified the mother as 45-year-old Marsha Lynch and her daughter as 8-year-old Sharia Lynch.
Marsha Lynch told investigators that the gun fell and discharged when it hit the ground.
Authorities have said Marsha Lynch was doing her daughter’s hair at the time. They said the girl was sitting between her mother’s legs when the gun fell.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
- 'QAnon Shaman's' note to Pence cited as evidence of 'assassination' plot before prosecutors walk back claim
- The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail
- Trump to leave Washington on morning of Biden's inauguration
- Trump plans to live at Mar-a-Lago and employ some current aides
Sheriff’s officials said Marsha Lynch underwent surgery for the leg wound.
Detectives are continuing to investigate.