DALLAS, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say the bullet from a handgun that fell to the floor in a Georgia home wounded the woman in the leg and then struck her child in the head. The 8-year-old girl later died.
Paulding County sheriff’s officials on Monday provided that account of Saturday’s shooting in the county northwest of Atlanta. They also identified the mother as 45-year-old Marsha Lynch and her daughter as 8-year-old Sharia Lynch.
Marsha Lynch told investigators that the gun fell and discharged when it hit the ground.
Authorities have said Marsha Lynch was doing her daughter’s hair at the time. They said the girl was sitting between her mother’s legs when the gun fell.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- 2 Louisville officers shot amid Breonna Taylor protests VIEW
- Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread
- How to create a pandemic pod for safe social interaction
- US experts vow ‘no cutting corners’ as vaccine tests expand VIEW
Sheriff’s officials said Marsha Lynch underwent surgery for the leg wound.
Detectives are continuing to investigate.