DALLAS, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say the bullet from a handgun that fell to the floor in a Georgia home wounded the woman in the leg and then struck her child in the head. The 8-year-old girl later died.
Paulding County sheriff’s officials on Monday provided that account of Saturday’s shooting in the county northwest of Atlanta. They also identified the mother as 45-year-old Marsha Lynch and her daughter as 8-year-old Sharia Lynch.
Marsha Lynch told investigators that the gun fell and discharged when it hit the ground.
Authorities have said Marsha Lynch was doing her daughter’s hair at the time. They said the girl was sitting between her mother’s legs when the gun fell.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- Deer could be a reservoir of old coronavirus variants, study suggests
- Rep. George Santos is stepping down from committees amid fabrications about his biography
- Video shows mysterious whirlpool spiral flying over Hawaii night sky
- Goodbye passport stamps, hello biometrics: Customs is getting faster
Sheriff’s officials said Marsha Lynch underwent surgery for the leg wound.
Detectives are continuing to investigate.