DALLAS, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say the bullet from a handgun that fell to the floor in a Georgia home wounded the woman in the leg and then struck her child in the head. The 8-year-old girl later died.
Paulding County sheriff’s officials on Monday provided that account of Saturday’s shooting in the county northwest of Atlanta. They also identified the mother as 45-year-old Marsha Lynch and her daughter as 8-year-old Sharia Lynch.
Marsha Lynch told investigators that the gun fell and discharged when it hit the ground.
Authorities have said Marsha Lynch was doing her daughter’s hair at the time. They said the girl was sitting between her mother’s legs when the gun fell.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Northwest is in for a cold, stormy winter, NOAA predicts
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Soldier with 'Hitler mustache' is first to be thrown out of military after Capitol riot charges
- Sheriff says family on California hike died of extreme heat
- FBI: Remains found in Florida park ID'd as Brian Laundrie
Sheriff’s officials said Marsha Lynch underwent surgery for the leg wound.
Detectives are continuing to investigate.