MARATHON, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say three people have been airlifted to a Miami trauma center after their small plane crashed in the Florida Keys.
A Monroe County Sheriff’s Office news release says the single-engine Piper PA-32R crashed Thursday in a wooded area near the Florida Keys Marathon Airport. Officials say the plane had four occupants, but there was no immediate word about the condition of the fourth person.
The plane was reported to have caught fire, and flames were put out quickly. Officials say the airport was closed to air traffic.
The names of the passengers weren’t immediately released. The Federal Aviation Administration records show the plane was owned by a central Florida company called All Pro Auto Parts.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Morning coffee results in $1,000 fine, expulsion from Venice
- You downloaded FaceApp. Here's what you've just done to your privacy.
- An American woman and her boyfriend were exploring Canada. They were found dead on a highway.
- Nobel laureate from Iraq told Trump that ISIS killed her family. 'Where are they now?' he asked.
- Plan to slow Western wildfires would clear strips of land
Authorities didn’t immediately say whether the plane was taking off or landing.