PERTH, Australia (AP) — A 17-year-old surfer was killed by a shark Monday off Australia’s south coast, police said.
The girl was surfing with her father when she was attacked off Esperance in Western Australia state on Monday afternoon, a police statement said.
She was taken in critical condition to Esperance Hospital, where she died. Police have not said what type of shark was responsible.
Australia has averaged fewer than two deadly shark attacks per year in recent decades.
Most Read Stories
- I-5’s Uncle Sam: 50 years and still ticked off near Chehalis
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
- Washington state’s new parental leave law could change workplace for moms — and dads
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Republicans going beyond hypocrisy with the national debt | Danny Westneat