COCOA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A 28-year-old woman is recovering after apparently being bitten on the calf and ankle by a shark as she waded in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida’s Cocoa Beach.
Brevard County Ocean Rescue Chief Jeff Scabarozi says the woman was in waist deep water when the bite occurred Sunday afternoon.
He says officials haven’t determined what kind of shark bit the woman. He added that a variety of sharks are in the water along that stretch of the Florida coastline.
Officials say the call came in after 2 p.m. and that by the time crews arrived, the wound had been wrapped by lifeguards.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FBI warned of large-scale nationwide protests by Trump supporters, but they fail to materialize
- McConnell: Trump 'provoked' Capitol siege, mob 'fed lies'
- Man lived inside Chicago's O’Hare airport for 3 months before detection, prosecutors say
- Trump prepares to offer clemency to more than 100 people in final hours in office
- Biden expected to cancel Keystone XL pipeline permit on first day
The woman was taken to a hospital for treatment. Officials say she was in stable condition.