COCOA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A 28-year-old woman is recovering after apparently being bitten on the calf and ankle by a shark as she waded in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida’s Cocoa Beach.
Brevard County Ocean Rescue Chief Jeff Scabarozi says the woman was in waist deep water when the bite occurred Sunday afternoon.
He says officials haven’t determined what kind of shark bit the woman. He added that a variety of sharks are in the water along that stretch of the Florida coastline.
Officials say the call came in after 2 p.m. and that by the time crews arrived, the wound had been wrapped by lifeguards.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases
The woman was taken to a hospital for treatment. Officials say she was in stable condition.