CRANSTON, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island authorities say a man walked into a funeral home, took a police officer’s sunglasses, put them on and walked out.
Police say the theft happened at the Nardolillo Funeral Home in Cranston around 10:45 a.m. Friday.
The officer was part of a motorcycle escort for a funeral procession, and Cranston police Maj. Todd Patalano says officers typically remove their sunglasses inside the parlor and place them on a table before paying their respects.
Surveillance video captured a man going to the table and picking up the officer’s $250 pair of sunglasses before leaving.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH
Patalano tells the Providence Journal police identified the suspect Wednesday, and they are currently searching for him. The man is facing a misdemeanor larceny charge.