Monday’s episode of “The Chew,” the food-oriented daytime talk show on ABC, had a notable absence: Mario Batali, the co-host who was removed from his duties after four women accused him of sexual harassment. Batali also stepped back from operations of the 26 restaurants he co-owns around the world after the website Eater published a story about the allegations.
When other notable television hosts, such as Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose, were forced to step down after sexual harassment allegations, their co-hosts grappled with their colleague’s alleged behavior on air.
“This is a sad morning here at ‘Today’ and at NBC News,” Today show host Savannah Guthrie said, holding co-host Hoda Kotb’s hand as they opened the show on which they announced Lauer’s departure.
“Let me be very clear: There is no excuse for this alleged behavior. It is systematic and pervasive,” said CBS “This Morning” co-host Norah O’Donnell, reporting on the departure of Charlie Rose after The Washington Post published a story detailing his harassment of several women.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Coronavirus vaccine will not change world right away
- Bay Area flattened the curve early; now, virus is surging VIEW
- Vehicle malfunction sparked Southern California wildfire VIEW
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- U.S. Identifies Some of the Mysterious Seeds Mailed From China
But over on “The Chew,” remaining hosts Carla Hall, Michael Symon and Clinton Kelly did not mention the absence of their colleague. Instead, they were dressed in leis and Hawaiian shirts for a Christmas luau-themed show. An ABC spokeswoman told The Post the show was recorded last week. Batali has not been on the show since Monday, Dec. 4.
“It’s all over the Internet,” said co-host Clinton Kelly, but he wasn’t talking about Batali. Instead, it was “A Christmas pineapple!” he said, telling his colleagues about a party trend. “Do you want to decorate one right now?”
Symon and Hall tested out a pair of hand-holding mittens. The trio made crafts and giggled. The authors of “Trap Kitchen” showed up to cook some salmon and pineapple. It progressed into a pig roast. There was no indication that anything was amiss at “The Chew.”
Batali apologized for the harassment in a statement to The Post, the same statement he provided to Eater.
“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.”
An ABC spokesperson did not answer questions about how Batali’s absence will be addressed on future episodes of the show, but ABC issued a statement earlier in the day.
“ABC takes matters like this very seriously as we are committed to a safe work environment,” the statement read. “While we are unaware of any type of inappropriate behavior involving him and anyone affiliated with the show, we will swiftly address any alleged violations of our standards of conduct.”