WEWAHITCHKA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a convicted sexual predator serving a life sentence at a Florida Panhandle prison tried to hire a hitman to kill several law enforcement officers, a prosecutor, a judge and a juvenile victim.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement reported in a news release Thursday that 72-year-old Loomes Wheeler Jr. faces six counts of solicitation to commit murder. He is currently incarcerated at Gulf Correctional Institution.
An arrest warrant issued Wednesday says Wheeler offered an FDLE agent, who Wheeler believed was a hitman, $95,000 in November to fatally shoot the victims as soon as possible.
Wheeler is a millionaire who once owned riding stables in central Florida. He received a life sentence in July for lewd and lascivious molestation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- 'Botched': Arizona GOP's ballot count ends, troubles persist
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Bacon may become scarce in California as pig rules take effect
State prison records didn’t list an attorney for Wheeler.