NEWINGTON, Conn. (AP) — Authorities say six people including four police officers were injured during a fire at a Connecticut motel.
Fire officials say they responded to the blaze at the Grantmoor Motor Lodge in Newington around 4 a.m. Tuesday.
The first responding officer happened to be doing routine checks when he noticed smoke coming from the building.
The building was evacuated, and police say multiple people including a child were hospitalized for smoke inhalation. Their current condition is unknown.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in less than an hour.
The fire started in a first-floor room but its exact cause remains under investigation. The fire destroyed at least one room and its contents.