NEWINGTON, Conn. (AP) — Authorities say six people including four police officers were injured during a fire at a Connecticut motel.
Fire officials say they responded to the blaze at the Grantmoor Motor Lodge in Newington around 4 a.m. Tuesday.
The first responding officer happened to be doing routine checks when he noticed smoke coming from the building.
The building was evacuated, and police say multiple people including a child were hospitalized for smoke inhalation. Their current condition is unknown.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- Employee being fired fatally shoots 5 co-workers in Illinois WATCH
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in less than an hour.
The fire started in a first-floor room but its exact cause remains under investigation. The fire destroyed at least one room and its contents.