NEWINGTON, Conn. (AP) — Authorities say six people including four police officers were injured during a fire at a Connecticut motel.
Fire officials say they responded to the blaze at the Grantmoor Motor Lodge in Newington around 4 a.m. Tuesday.
The first responding officer happened to be doing routine checks when he noticed smoke coming from the building.
The building was evacuated, and police say multiple people including a child were hospitalized for smoke inhalation. Their current condition is unknown.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in less than an hour.
The fire started in a first-floor room but its exact cause remains under investigation. The fire destroyed at least one room and its contents.