NEWINGTON, Conn. (AP) — Authorities say six people including four police officers were injured during a fire at a Connecticut motel.
Fire officials say they responded to the blaze at the Grantmoor Motor Lodge in Newington around 4 a.m. Tuesday.
The first responding officer happened to be doing routine checks when he noticed smoke coming from the building.
The building was evacuated, and police say multiple people including a child were hospitalized for smoke inhalation. Their current condition is unknown.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- GOP, Kavanaugh accuser in standoff over her Senate testimony WATCH
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- Memory's frailty may be playing role in Kavanaugh matter
- In 1992, Cory Booker admitted to groping a high school classmate and issued a call for sexual respect
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in less than an hour.
The fire started in a first-floor room but its exact cause remains under investigation. The fire destroyed at least one room and its contents.