BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Serbia’s defense ministry says dozens of guns, automatic rifles and ammunition are missing from a military warehouse in the capital.
The statement on Thursday says the disappearance of weapons from the Belgrade garrison was spotted during a regular checkup.
It says the missing stock includes 70 handguns, five automatic rifles and two crates of ammunition. An investigation is underway, and officials didn’t say when the discovery was made or for how long the weapons have been missing.
Police on Wednesday reported the arrest of 10 suspected arms traffickers and a seizure of weapons, including rocket launchers, anti-tank mines and automatic guns.
Most Read Stories
- Everett’s bikini baristas head to federal court to argue for freedom of exposure
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
- Anthony Bourdain's 'Parts Unknown' came to Seattle: What did you think of the episode?
- Parents, adult son believed dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- Look at some of the weird places people put shared bikes in Seattle
Arms smuggling has flourished in the Balkans following the 1990s wars. Some of the weapons used in last year’s terror attacks in Paris originated in the Balkans.