PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — U.S. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse says President Donald Trump is “squirming on the hook” of the Russia probe and trying to recast the narrative by demanding the Justice Department investigate whether the FBI infiltrated his presidential campaign.
The Republican president made the demand Sunday amid days of public venting about the special counsel’s Russia investigation.
The Justice Department then asked its inspector general to examine whether there was improper politically motivated surveillance.
Whitehouse said Monday that looking into it won’t harm the special counsel’s investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Deadly fungus spread rapidly during the pandemic, CDC says
- It’s massive. It’s Trumpian. And now it’s mysteriously missing
- Tourism agency apologizes after sexualizing Canadian city's name WATCH
- Former TV star, now a chicken 'rescuer,' found not guilty of Foster Farms theft
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The Rhode Island Democrat says he expects the FBI was doing its job in trying to protect the American political system from foreign influence.
Whitehouse says it’s peculiar to have a battle of the narratives between a “tweeting president” and a prosecutor who’s constrained from responding.