ST. LOUIS (AP) — Police say security guards fatally shot a patient at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis after he pushed his way out of a treatment room and refused to drop two knives.
St. Louis police Lt. Col. Rochelle Jones says the 46-year-old patient was shot Thursday morning at the hospital’s Center of Advanced Medicine, which includes a cancer center and other medical offices and clinics.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the patient was in a room with his wife when he forced his way out and pulled two knives from his pockets.
Jones said when two security guards ordered the man to drop the knives, he refused and both guards men fired at him. The man died at the scene.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
The man’s motives weren’t immediately known. Jones wouldn’t say why he was being treated.
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com