ST. LOUIS (AP) — Police say security guards fatally shot a patient at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis after he pushed his way out of a treatment room and refused to drop two knives.
St. Louis police Lt. Col. Rochelle Jones says the 46-year-old patient was shot Thursday morning at the hospital’s Center of Advanced Medicine, which includes a cancer center and other medical offices and clinics.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the patient was in a room with his wife when he forced his way out and pulled two knives from his pockets.
Jones said when two security guards ordered the man to drop the knives, he refused and both guards men fired at him. The man died at the scene.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks
The man’s motives weren’t immediately known. Jones wouldn’t say why he was being treated.
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com