TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Security guards in Florida fatally shot two people, including a 15-year-old girl, after a series of fights occurred outside a club that was hosting a teen night.
Hillsborough County Sheriff’s spokesman Danny Alvarez said in a news release that fights erupted at The Club, prompting organizers to close the doors about 10:30 p.m. Monday.
He said that while between 150 and 200 people were leaving the building, security guards said they first heard fireworks and then gunshots.
Alvarez says as the guards searched for where the shots were coming from, they saw a person firing a gun from a car.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
Both returned fire, killing 25-year-old Jyhaad Grant and the teenager, Julissa Jackson.
The names of the guards were not released.
Alvarez said no additional details were immediately available.