SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White is offering a holiday reminder that driving after drinking can be fatal.
White’s office administers driver licenses and vehicle registrations. He says “drunken driving causes injury and death” on roads every holiday season.
He says that last Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, two of nine fatalities were alcohol-related. And last year on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, three of seven fatalities involved alcohol.
White adds that 76 percent of Illinois motorists arrested for driving under the influence are men whose blood-alcohol content is twice the legal limit.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 'Stay tuned' for new evidence against Trump in July hearings
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Inside the extreme effort to punish women for abortion
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says nighttime DUIs are four times higher than in the daytime.